The Latest on North Korea’s missile launches (all times local):
Japan’s top government spokesman says there is no direct threat to Japan following North Korea’s latest test-launch of three short-range missiles.
Yoshihide Suga told reporters the missiles early Saturday did not fall into Japan’s territorial waters or the coastal 200-mile economic zone. Japan has previously deployed missile interceptors after North Korea threatened to fire projectiles over Japan toward the U.S. territory of Guam.
In the latest launch, the U.S. Pacific Command says two of the North’s missiles failed in flight after an unspecified distance, and another appeared to have blown up immediately.
South Korea’s presidential office says the U.S. and South Korean militaries will proceed with their ongoing war games “even more thoroughly” in response to North Korea’s latest short-range missile launches.
The Blue House issued the statement Saturday after National Security Director Chung Eui-yong chaired a National Security Council meeting to assess the launches.
South Korean President Moon Jae-in did not participate in the meeting and his office didn’t immediately provide further details.
The U.S. Pacific Command says its assessments indicate that the three missiles failed. The command says two failed in flight, and another appeared to have blown up immediately.
Seoul’s Joint Chiefs of Staff says that the projectiles fired from the North’s eastern coast flew about 250 kilometers (155 miles), though it did not mention any failures.
Here is the source link